Search for answers or browse our knowledge base.
Add Attendees in Bulk
Updated: November 19, 2020
Follow along below for a step-by-step walkthrough of how to assign different roles to users within the venue in bulk.
Note: Only Admins can change or assign roles to people within the platform.
Tip: This article will discuss adding attendees in bulk. If you’re looking to change one or a few users manually, check out our article, Assign Staff, Badge & Role Individually.
1. Open your venue. Under the Administrator tab, click Attendees.
2. Once on the Attendees page, you will see a current list of people added to your venue. Here you will see staff, badge, or role designations of all users.
3. To change the role of multiple users, you will have to export the current list of attendees. If you currently have no attendees in your venue, then you can begin by creating a spreadsheet to import information.
Tip: Our Engagez Support venue has a helpful folder entitled Sample Upload Files, which has a sample file for every type of user you may upload. Just choose the type of user and download the file with instructions to get started.
4. Open your spreadsheet and scroll to the columns labeled Staff, Badge, and Role. Mark the attendees with a 0, 1, or 2 in each row for each of the columns as you see fit.
Staff: 1 is for Attendee, 2 is for Staff.
Badge: 1 is for Attendee, 2 is for Speaker.
Role: 0 is for Attendee, 1 is for Contributor, and 2 is for Admin.
Warning: Do not change your own designation to Attendee, as this will lock you out of entering your venue prior to the start date. This is also the case for Engagez Customer Support who were originally added to your event.
5. To change someone’s Exhibitor Staff Status in bulk, you must also alter the spreadsheet. In the last column of the spreadsheet, there will be a column labeled Hall Items. Here, you can assign each person in the spreadsheet to an Exhibitor Booth by including the exact name of the booth. Then in parentheses, you must indicate the roles you will be assigning them in the Staff, Badge, and Role columns for that specific booth.
Caution: A booth must already be created with this name for the system to assign an attendee to this booth. You will receive a warning message in the Test Upload if the name of the booth on the spreadsheet is incorrect or does not exist.
6. For example, to get the result of the screenshot below, you must write Name of Booth (1, 0, 2). This staff designation will appear only in the Exhibitor Level, not the Venue Level. This means an Interaction Panel in this booth would have this user labeled as Staff, but not an Interaction Panel on another page of the venue.
7. Save your spreadsheet as a CSV file.
Note: If you own a Macbook, your default settings may open the CSV as a Numbers file. Make sure to save or re-export this as a CSV before uploading it to Engagez.
8. Finally, import the updated sheet and make sure to check Ignore the First Line. Then you can test before importing to make sure there are no errors.
You should see the changes to your staff, badge, and role designations in a few minutes to several hours, depending on the number of users you’re uploading.
Tip: For large files, we recommend uploading users in a few batches, starting with the first 30-50 rows to ensure each user has the correct designations.
Still have questions? Visit the Engagez Support venue or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’ve purchased an implementation package, please contact your implementation representative through Skype or email.